Friday, May 16, 2008

I came across an old newspaper today.There was something in it about the list of Booker Prize nominees of 2006.Among others,there was 'The Inheritance of Loss' by Kiran Desai.There were other books in the list,but as far as I can recall,I haven't seen any of those at any Crosswords/Landmark.Kiran Desai is the only one who makes the cut.These bookstores exploit a unique trait of human psyche.We humans constantly seek comfort in groups.Kiran Desai is an Indian,therefore subconsciously I am curious about her.Obviously what we define as 'our group' is what interests me.For eg,when Tendulkar comes to bat,while I support him as an Indian,a maharashtrian might support him as a maharashtrian,and Vinod Kambli might support him as an old classmate.
Now let's apply this theory a little further.Well,everyday some new problem starts in our 'mulk'.Let's take the old secularism issue.We have the right-wing supporting the creation of a 'Hindu Ram Rajya'.Let's assume we give in to their demands,and we allocate a seperate country for the minorities and our new 'Ram Rajya' is created,consisting of only hindus.Now,the term 'hindu' is another googly in itself.There are high-caste&low-caste groups.Suppose they also want their piece of the pie.Theek hai,de diya.Now,in our "high-caste Hindu land',we have the high caste punjabis,high caste tamilians&high caste biharis.I hope you take my cue.
**********************************************************************************
I finally discovered the joys of writing.While writing the above article,I started on a light topic,got lost and ended up discussing something totally diffrent from what I had envisaged.

1 comment:

Harsh Pande said...

hmmm, nice post as usual... with the usual dose of 'desh bhakti' ;)

but the title is conspicuous in its absence.